Saturday 5 May 2012

Your Opinion Matters! (No, Seriously.)

Kaliméra bloggers!

So, school's out for summer, as they say. I'm off for at least the next 123 days (yes, I worked it out)! Exams went pretty smoothly, and I've had a busy few days off shopping, going to the cinema, exploring weekend huts behind the Carbeth Inn and saying Happy Birthday! The 1st of May is always busy for me because it's not only my mother's birthday, but also one of my best friend's and her mother's birthday. It's great because it always falls right when I'm finishing up with exams, so it doubles as an I'M FREE celebration. Tonight a whole big bunch of us are going out to give Madeleine an encouraging shove into her 20's. Well, better her than us.

It's so weird to have free time again and be able to do anything I want, or nothing O_O. I've performed the ritualistic chucking out of revision notes and rounded up all the uni books I want to either sell or get rid of (41). Which leaves 15 I'm keeping. Among my favourites are: Homer's Odyssey, On the Nature of the Universe by Lucretius because it has one of the most excruciatingly beautiful verses on love and sex I've ever read, Paradise Lost, Great Expectations, The Picture of Dorian Gray and a book of essays on different ethical issues as well as two huuuuge anthologies of poems, essays & short stories specially compiled by the English Lit department. I think I got off with a pretty good haul :).

So now that I've got all this free time I have to figure out what I'm going to do with it. Driving lessons, reading the 24 or so books lurking in various orifices around my room, going to the cinema cause hello it's blockbuster season (!!), relaxing in North Berwick aaaaaaaaaaand I've got a post up my sleeve about various writing projects that hopefully won't induce a mass narcoleptic trance.

But first of all I need your advice on two things:

1) If any of you have ever sold anything (specifically books) (specifically textbooks or informational type books) on Amazon, do share your experience. Was it positive or negative? Did you make any profit or did the cost of postage burn a big ole hole in your back pocket?

2) Okay, so I mentioned in the last post that I was thinking of posting a couple of pages with book & movie reviews, not because I'm a savant in any way shape or form but cause I enjoy it :). But a further foray into this venture has revealed the fundamental messiness of pages with lists and text and pictures. Plus the fact I'm technologically inept. SO, I'm either going to acquire a new blog specifically for posting reviews of fings, or I'm just going to incorporate it here. My question is, dear readers or internet nomads, which would you prefer? I have a backlog of 29 films and 8 books (I read slow), but I could probably get them out of the way in a maximum of ten posts since some of the reviews will be pretty short. I mean 'short' by normal standards, not by mine, so they will actually be short. But what do you guys think?


In the spirit of work hard/play hard:







And I know it's probably not 'cool' but seriously, is there anyone with a heart and a camera who doesn't kind of love this song?




HAPPY SUMMER GUYS :D!

4 comments:

  1. Summer? What is this free time you speak of? My exams haven't even started yet!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ahem.
    Congrats!! I hope you have a great summer :DDD
    I have no experience selling on Amazon but want to so looking forward to reading what people say.
    Do whatever you want to do. It's your blog. So whatever feels right for you.
    *waves*

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT!? NO! You cannot be free! I am offended! PFFT! 17 days before mine BEGIN. Damnit lol.
    But woo for your holiday =)
    Keep it on this blog! It might be too back-and-forthy (yes, a word) with a second blog...? Up to you, but I'll read it fo' sho' etc.
    And I haven't sold any of my textbooks yet (you know, for REAL subjects, oh I went there! =P) but when I bought one or two second-hand, the postage was insane on one or two of them and the seller in fact lost money. I would say go for eBay seeing as I've started selling things on there with no major problem but not as many textbooks are sold on there as compared to Amazon. Then again if you're in no hurry, have long listings near September time and try your luck!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Echoes the spirit of what-the-hell-do-you-mean-holiday as above*
    Damn you, lol, I am so jealous :P Just relish the nothingness for a bit. The books that you're keeping sound heavy, man! I've rarely had that 'excruciatingly beautiful' sentiment with a book before...though I did once catch myself using 'gorgeous prose' to describe the Great Gatsby...to my bewildered family...at the dinner table. So that was a sad moment. But well done on being all cultured!
    I've never sold stuff but good luck with that (Y)
    As for reviews etc, I agree that you should keep it on here. Otherwise either blog might get neglected and it would be a bit...back-and-forthy. Lol. Still going to read whatever you post though, its fiiine.
    (TOTALLY love the Green Day one!)
    Enjoy your holidayness for all of us!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA, yeah, my uni finishes up insanely early. I'm not going to lie, it's pretty wonderful.

    I like this new word... 'back-and-forthy'. Alright, it's decided then, I'll just keep everything together here! Cheers team (Y).

    Righto Emad, I'm not so hot with eBay what with my not studying REAL subjects and whatnot - ahem - but I'll look into selling the books I can get most return from on Amazon and maybe sell the rest back to my uni at the end of summer... Argh, need money NOW!

    Humaira, I ain't never even read the Great Gatsby so I'm completely UN-cultured. But it's so frustrating when you just want to gush about something you've read and the unwilling recipient is just like 'Down in front' cause you've blocked the TV... And high-five for the Green Day song (H)!

    I will of course enjoy my freedom on your behalves, and GOOD LUCK for your exams all of yeez :D!!

    ReplyDelete