Saturday 2 April 2011

Drip, Drip, Drop, Little April Shower!

I forgot how cute Bambi was :). Everyone should totally feel this way about the rain! You know the way people who suffer from SAD feel about the sun when it finally comes back in summer? That's how I feel about the rain. Although I am learning to appreciate the sun more. Slow but steady.

But yeah, who can believe it's April already?! It's three years ago this month that I embarked on The Great Novel Writing Expedition. Twenty-one Pukka Pads, 137 post-its, 651 Word pages, a whole turkey's quill-count of pens, one thousand and one late nights, one heart, one soul, a couple of kidneys, and I'm still counting. It would be beautifully sentimental if I could have the final manuscript D.O.N.E for the actual anniversary, but as I've switched computers during that time, I no longer know the date I first began. I am pretty certain it was the 28th of April 2008, but as philosophy has taught me this past sixth months, you can believe something that isn't true, but you cannot know something that isn't true, because then there is nothing to know. You'd have thought common sense would have knocked that into my head many moons ago, but I have none, so it was mathematically impossible.

Other obstacles getting in the way of The Finish Line include exams, and to a lesser degree, the fact I still haven't seen Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink or, indeed, Heathers. (This will make sense only to me.) In light of that, as soon as exams are over—and I mean as soon as, as in, at eleven thirty-one on Friday, May 6th—I am going to blow a certain predetermined amount of money on my Amazon Wishlist, partly to celebrate and partly to educate myself, and lock myself in my room for twenty days to finish the damn thing, despite the fact my bedroom door doesn't actually have a lock. Don't ask me why twenty days; that number has just been in my head the past few weeks, and if I happen to finish before that twenty days is up, then mazel tov to me! Alright, before that commences I may celebrate with friends in a slightly less regimented manner, but I have a plan, damnit!

You know, when I came on here to announce to the Blogosphere that it is April, I did not intend going on a rant about The Great Novel Writing Expedition. I do apologise.


Anyhow, here is this calendar month's pikchaaaa, darling;

Cahill Walk, Sydney Bridge, Sydney, Australia, October 2009.

See right down there at the bottom of the stairs? Yeah, just there. There used to be three Chinese tourists. They're not there anymore. MWAHAHAHAHA. Good old Photoshop.



Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, I'm out!

6 comments:

  1. Like the picture! Very mysterious and artsy.
    Keep going with the novel. If you want it you'll get there. Took me 5 years and it was an absolute piece of beep but at least I know that i can do it.
    I haven't seen Sixteen Candles either. Or Heathers. Or Pretty in Pink. Should I?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!
    Thanks about the picture! Although I'm sure if you saw the original you would rescind that compliment O_O.
    Five years?! Holy crap, I am seriously envious of your commitment. I bet you a million bucks it wasn't a piece of beep! Did you ever do anything with it :)? I always hear authors say when they finish a manuscript they lock it away in a drawer for two weeks — why is it never any more or less than TWO weeks?! — and then take it back out and read it over with 'fresh' eyes. Hmm...
    LOL, I don't know if you should see them or not! I'll need to watch them and get back to you on that one :)! I only should have seen them, partially because I love John Hughes films and Sixteen Candles & Pretty in Pink are supposedly pretty great Molly Ringwald examples, but mostly because the main character in my...novel...I cannot type that without cringing...loooooves those movies, she is a movie fanatic, so I feel after three years I owe it to her to do my research!
    I do realise I sound completely mental.
    Anyway! That's half the fun!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Hughes is amazing. definitely watch both of them right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is amazing! Imagine if there was no Planes,Trains & Automobiles or no The Breakfast Club or no Uncle Buck or no Home Alone O_O. The world would be much worse off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Say "extended short story" is novel makes you cringe - I do!
    I know!!! It's always two weeks! 14 days must have some special significance in the world of artists and writers.
    Trust me, it's bleep. I was 11 when I started it and it was based on ridiculous fanatasies and dreams from when I was a kid. Maybe when I'm old and grey I'll rewrite it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're extremely smart! "Extended short story" sounds much less prattish. I was discussing this with Meejin and she was like "What's wrong with saying novel?" and I was like...What IS wrong with saying novel? But I think it's because saying "Oh yes, I'm writing a novel" makes you sound like it's so good it could be published like that *snaps fingers*.

    Awwwwh! Dreams make amazing stories. You should totally rewrite it! But at least you know you can do it :D! That's the most important thing :)!

    ReplyDelete